Building Permit Coordinator
Scope of Position:
To provide front counter reception and support to the Building Department.
- Provide information at the front counter, by telephone and through correspondence in response to inquiries regarding building permit application process, zoning bylaws, Ontario Building Code and other applicable laws
- Assist the public with completion of building permit applications and other necessary forms
- Receive and review building permit applications for accuracy and completeness as required by legislation
- Accept construction drawings and documents for permit processing
- Accurately calculate and collect all fees (incl. permit fees, development charges and zoning fees)
- Ensure that all other external or interdepartmental agency requirements have been met or are in process of being met.
- Review and issuance of simple permit applications (ie decks, sheds, pools and demolition) ensuring compliance with the Ontario Building Code and other applicable law when requested by the CBO.
- Monitor permit application status by maintaining accurate and timely records
- Sort and route permit application packages to various agencies and staff
- Schedule requests for field inspections and maintain an inspection activity log
- Resolve routine customer service inquiries as they relate to building permits
- Coordinate and monitor the permitting process with building inspectors, planners, designers and homeowners
- Maintain and manage an inventory of forms, applications, office equipment and supplies.
- Maintain and update Divisional website
- Manage and maintain the records management systems (OMNI-RIM)
- Ensure all property files and related documentation is filed in a timely fashion
- Reconcile daily cash receipts
- Provide administrative support for other staff as required
- Preparation of files as required including printing labels and assembling file folders
- Track permit activity, input and compile data on permit tracking software (Cityview)
- Process outgoing and incoming mail
- Assist Zoning Administrator and Zoning Compliance Officer by providing backup assistance in preparing letters, confirming zoning, building and work order searches
- Provide backup coverage as required for Zoning Administrator/Zoning Compliance Officer/Bylaw Division
- Prepare variety of reports, notices, minutes, agendas
- Perform related duties as assigned by the Chief Building Official or designate
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in a related field such as, civil engineering, construction engineering or architecture or equivalent
- Over one year current related experience
- MMAH Qualification in “General Legal Process” as required by Part 2 Division C of the Ontario Building Code. Where such requirements are not met, applicant must be willing to obtain qualification within 6 months from date of hire.
- MMAH Qualification in “House” or in the process of achieving qualification a definite asset. Where such requirements are not met, applicant must be willing to obtain qualification within 6 months from date of hire.
Skills and Abilities:
- A general understanding of provincial legislation including Ontario Building Code Act and Regulations, Planning Act and Zoning Bylaws, and the Provincial Offences Act
- Basic ability to read and understand blueprints.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and time management skills
- Proven record keeping and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions
- Prioritize workload to meet stringent timelines
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Computer expertise in corporate standard software (Microsoft Office) and department specific software to data search and entry and to create and modify word processed documents
- Must be aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and have the basic understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
Status: Permanent Full Time
Employee Group: CUPE Local 4700
Salary: $22.86 - $28.61 per hour
Competitive Benefits Package
Division: Development and Cultural Services
Department: Building and By-law
Reports To: Deputy Chief Building Official
Location: Robinson Administration Building (Simcoe)
Posting Period: July 12, 2019 - July 26, 2019
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector where required and verification of education, transcripts preferred.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.