Chief Administrative Officer
Rural by nature, prosperous by design, Norfolk County is located one hour south of Toronto. We offer picturesque small town, hamlet and rural living within easy reach of major urban centres such as Hamilton, London, Kitchener-Waterloo and Brantford. With wonderfully varied tourist attractions, bountiful and proven agricultural tradition, and spectacular recreational activities, our exceptional quality of community and family life simply can’t be beat!
In the 2018 municipal election, Norfolk residents elected their County Council and provided a clear mandate for change. Mayor Kristal Chopp and Council have heard what matters most to residents and is seeking a progressive and transformational CAO to work with them on their strategic priorities:
- Fostering vibrant, creative communities;
- Building a strong economy and creating an environment that is open for business;
- Providing reliable infrastructure, from essential community amenities to transportation networks and water and wastewater services;
- Establishing responsive, collaborative, customer service; and,
- Securing a solid foundation for success by improving Norfolk County’s financial health and strategic asset management and creating a culture of efficiency and continuous improvement.
Purpose of Position:
Will be accountable for the overall administrative management of Norfolk County by providing leadership to ensure effective, quality and efficient management of the Corporation.
Will provide advice and guidance to the Mayor and Norfolk County Council in the development of public policy, ensuring Council is provided with relevant information necessary to make informed decisions, based on sound business practices.
Will effectively direct General Managers and Directors in the administration and coordination of the delivery of services to County residents and businesses, in a manner that ensures the effective utilization of the human, financial and physical resources of Norfolk County.
Will effectively communicate and interface with internal contacts and externally with the public, media, members of various ministries, government agencies, boards, municipalities, solicitors, etc.
- Reports to, is accountable to and receives authority from Norfolk County Council and performs his/her duties according to Council direction.
- Oversees the overall interpretation, implementation and administration of Council decisions and provides a well-coordinated communications network from all administrative levels to the political level and vice versa.
- Attends Council, ad hoc Committee meetings, or be represented, providing advice and information in the formulation of Corporate policy.
- Acts as the chief policy advisor to Council and provides Council with advice based on professional standards and best practices to ensure that Council is presented with clear, comprehensive information and alternatives on which to make reasoned policy decisions.
- Ensures Council’s policies are implemented by By-Law and appropriately enforced.
- Recruits, directs, motivates, evaluates the performance, and disciplines up to and including termination of employees.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends and developments affecting County operation including: legislation, Ministry directives, procedural rulings and related matters, bringing relevant items to the attention of Council and/or Committees and Boards.
- Provides advice to the Mayor and Council, as they establish and maintain a vision and strategic direction for Norfolk County, as well as, priority setting for annual business plans and long-term capital projects.
- Provides leadership in the on-going identification and tracking of “best practices” including; benchmarking of the latest technology, making recommendations for application to support continuous improvement efforts, and to position the County at the leading edge of state-of-the art in Municipal Government.
- Oversees the day-to-day management of operations and service delivery ensuring efficiencies in all Divisions; recruiting/retention practices, orientation, training for current and future positions, performance feedback, discipline as required, counselling and career development for all employees, promoting the philosophy of a “continuous learning” culture.
- Communicates the short-term and long-term strategic direction of the Corporation to Senior Leadership Team ensuring employees are knowledgeable of how each Division fits into the “big picture”.
- Develops and maintains a contact network strategy including citizens’ groups, representatives of development, business and industry, counterparts in other municipalities, representatives of professional association and federal/provincial government officials.
Senior Leadership Team
- Provides leadership and assistance to Senior Leadership Team and Boards, to assist in the preparation of budgets; responsible for the general administration of these budgets through the Treasurer and General Managers.
- Convenes and chairs regular meetings of various Committees; i.e. Senior Leadership Team, Emergency Control Group, etc., to discuss matters of policy.
- Develops, and with the assistance of Senior Leadership Team, provides an orientation program to new members of Council following the regular municipal elections.
- Solves major problems on a daily basis within each County Division, particularly as they relate to County policy, such as legal, financial and major construction projects. As requested, provides advice to the Mayor, Members of County Council, Senior Leadership Team to assist in solving problems that arise and suggests the course of action to be adopted.
- Undertakes changes to the organization structure that will improve efficiency and/or improve service delivery to the public and provides appropriate notification to Norfolk County Council.
- Meets regularly with members of Senior Leadership Team to review policy directions of Council and assigns responsibility for implementation and execution.
- Ensures sound public relations are maintained by communicating information on the actions and decisions of Council to the general public through the media.
- Carries out additional duties and exercises such additional responsibilities that may be required in the interest of Norfolk County and as Council may assign.
Education and Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have a graduate degree in a relevant discipline such as a Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Commence, Economic Development, Master’s degree in Public Administration or a professional designation such as Professional Engineer, Chartered Professional Accountant, or similar discipline.
- Ten (10) years of experience as a senior executive in a related municipal or public sector environment, OR equivalent to the above.
- Exhibit personal accountability for the administrative management of the Corporation.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, influence and work collaboratively and efficiently with a broad spectrum of individuals, in a complex salaried and unionized environment.
- Solid communication skills demonstrating diplomacy and tact in dealing with individuals of various backgrounds/interests.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate and interface with the public, media and external contacts.
- Ability to make sound decisions in managing, directing and overseeing the activities of several divisions with wide ranging responsibilities.
- A thorough knowledge of the community’s strengths, opportunities and challenges and an in-depth understanding of the culture of the area, to encourage/promote growth and development in the community.
Status: Permanent Full Time
Employee Group: Non-Union
Reports To: Mayor and Members of Council
Posting Period: August 20, 2019 – September 30, 2019
The Corporation of Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Successful applicants are required to provide the Employer with a current Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector where required and verification of education.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.